Connected classroom room reading activity.
Location: Connected classroom
Skills Focus: Reading
Game: Mcdonald’s video game
Calling itself a digital parody of Mcdonald’s, this game takes a very critical look at the process behind the fast food company. If you’ve read or seen ‘supersize me’ or ‘fast food nation’ then you should play this.
Download a copy of the Mcdonald’s video game worksheet and make a copy of the first page for each pair of learners in your class. The second page contains teachers’ notes.
- Connect to the game in the class and set English as the language you want to play the game in (British flag).
- Choose a volunteer to read ‘The Game’ introduction out.
- Brainstorm vocabulary items from the 4 pictures to the left of the intro.
- Click play and allow enough time for your learners to read the disclaimer and then ask them why they think that is included there and what does it say about the game.
- Click continue and then hand out the worksheets.
- Explain the game is quite complicated and to play it well you need to read the tutorial.
- Click on the tutorial.
- Learners do the worksheet activities while you follow the instructions on the teachers’ notes page.
Post reading task
Learners play the game either in a computer room or for homework and then complete the last activity on the worksheet either back in the classroom or for homework.