An online game that is played while reading the story of the game as a narrative story is a great way to get your learners reading. Playing the game becomes a comprehension check.
Level: Upper intermediate+
Location: Computer room
Language: Narrative tenses & narrative devices.
Game: I remain
- Do hangman for the word ‘Z O M B I E’ and ask them to describe what one is.
- Learners imagine they have survived a zombie outbreak and they are in a strangers house and in pairs write down 6 things they should do.
- Take learners to the computer room and direct them to the ‘I Remain’ story. Learners then read it and find 3 things they wrote down.
Learners use two open internet explorer pages to play the game as they read the story.
- Learners write the next part of the story.
- Learners write an imagined walkthrough for the next part of the game.
- Learners change some of the elements of the story (make it better).
- Learners reduce the story to a walkthrough.