This is a point and click game where you have to find words in order to fill the gaps in a letter.
Location: Computer classroom
Skills focus: Reading
Game: The Big Escape
Download a copy of The Big Escape Worksheet and print enough copies for each pair.
- Hand out the worksheet and ask learners to do exercise 1. They should write any words they guess using pencil.
- Learners compare, discuss any differences and choose the best answers.
- They also look at exercise 3 and guess the answers before comparing.
- Make sure they know what a noun, verb, compound noun, adjective and a homonym mean.
- Tell your learners they are going to check their answers by playing a game.
- In the computer room direct learners to the game ‘The Big Escape’. They play the game in pairs.
- One learner plays while the other completes the worksheet. Change roles every 3 to 5 minutes.
- Learners complete the journal in the game which they also have on their worksheet.
- Fast finishers can start to play the next game. When everyone has finished stop the game.
Go back to the classroom and check the answers:
Exercise 1 The Letter – 14, Dear, scooping, vinegar, place, smart, feed, gold fish.
Exercise 2 The Walkthrough – kettle/boils, lamp/see, telescope/look, gold fish/find, record player/find, gold key/ open
You can discuss some of the more difficult vocabulary and find synonyms. e.g. scooping up = buying, getting etc