Language: Prepositions of place
Skills Focus: Listening/ speaking
Location: Classroom room
Game: Happy Christmas Escape
Father Christmas wants to deliver his presents but he is locked in a house and he can’t get out. Help him to find the keys that will help him escape.
Familiarise yourself with the walkthrough to this game. Also make a list of useful vocabulary. The vocabulary that is necessary to complete the game is listed below but you may want to preteach others or deal with them as you play.
- Sit your learners in front of the screen with a clear view of the game.
- Explain the problem – that father Christmas needs to escape form the house in order to deliver all the Christmas presents he’s got for all the good children.
- Elicit vocabulary by asking ‘What’s this (called)? or ‘Where’s the X?’
- Elicit from your learners what you need to do and where you need to look/ go.
- You can give hints by saying ‘you’re getting closer/ warmer’ or ‘you’re getting further away/ colder’.
To keep the pace moving shift between letting them direct you as an open class, calling on volunteers, giving clues etc
There are a number of activities but here are a few suggestions:
- Learners write the walkthrough using vocabulary only.
- Draw a picture of one of the rooms and label it.
- Write a letter to Father Christmas.
- Write a description of where the keys are.
- Write where they would hide the keys (in a better place).