Location: Computer room
Language Focus: Physical description: clothes/ body.
Skills Practice: Reading
Game: Happy Family Dress up
1. Play a game yourself and write out a description of the family like this:
- The boy has got black hair and dark skin. He’s wearing an orange striped top with short sleeves and a long-sleeved white top underneath. He is wearing green combat trousers and white trainers. He is also wearing a black baseball cap.
- The man has got blonde hair and pale skin. He’s wearing a blue checked shirt, black jeans and brown shoes. He isn’t wearing many accessories but he is wearing a pair of dark sunglasses.
- The woman has got long straight brown hair and dark skin. She’s wearing a light brown top, a white skirt and knee high brown boots. She is also wearing a white necklace with red rubies which matches her glasses.
- The girl has got long blonde hair and a pigtail. She’s got light skin. She’s wearing a pink hat, a pink flowery dress and boots like her mum but they are light brown. She’s also wearing sunglasses a simple necklace and some coloured bracelets.
- They are all on holiday at the beach.
2. Print out the description for each learner or provide access to an electronic copy on each computer.
3. Take a screenshot of the family and print it out or save it on a separate document.
- Learners read the description and reproduce the family.
- Learners stand up and look at other learner’s results and spot any differences from the written description.
- Learners compare their result with the screenshot and write down any differences.
- Learners create their own families and write a description down using the original as a model.
- Learners expand on the written description to either include other elements (hats, gloves etc) or expand on the complexity of the language (an expensive long-sleeved checked shirt etc).
- Learners reproduce a family from the written description of another learner.