Location: Connected classroom
Skills Focus: Reading
Language focus: There is/ are, present continuous, prepositions of place
Vocabulary: Objects in a Christmas decorated room (see below)
Game: Christmas Scene
Download and print out a copy of the Christmas Scene Worksheet (see below) for each learner in your class. Use this to pre-teach the vocabulary for the picture dictation of the game.
- Hand out a copy of the Christmas Scene Worksheet to each learner.
- In open class ask what each item is and focus on pronunciation.
- Write the words on the board as each learner writes the vocabulary next to the pictures.
- Show the game on a computer screen/ IWB in the classroom.
- Play a game of ‘I-spy’ with what you can see of the game. You start with one of the vocabulary items from the worksheet.
- When a learner guesses the word encourage them to come up to the board and touch the object.
- Learners take it in turn to play I-spy in small groups.
- Give out the walkthrough and learners circle the words from the vocabulary worksheet*.
*From memory or using the Christmas Scene Worksheet for help.
- Ask learners to take the walkthrough to the computer room.
- In the class room learners find the game either through google or the website link (you can save a hyperlink on a document on the computer system and ask learners to access the site by opening the document and clicking on the link).
- Learners then read the Christmas Scene Walkthrough and complete the game.
Post game activity
Back in the classroom use an image of the game to play I-spy with the vocabulary.